Who is Emmett Shear, OpenAI’s interim CEO replacing Sam Altman?
OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, has hired Emmett Shear, the former head of Twitch, as its acting CEO. The business recently fired Sam Altman, a decision that caused a stir in the tech community.
Shear is well-known for being a vocal supporter of safety in the advancement of artificial intelligence. Shear and Altman were both in the inaugural class of startup incubator Y Combinator.
Shear unveiled his strategy for OpenAI’s future on Monday, stating that he will seek to restructure the startup’s management group and engage a third party to look at Altman’s exit.
* Shear, 40, left her position as CEO of Twitch, a company owned by Amazon.com (AMZN.O), in March after more than 16 years working for the live video streaming service.
* Shear was a co-founder of the website under the name Justin.tv in 2006; Twitch replaced it as the name of the platform in 2011. The gaming community took to the site fast, and in 2014, Amazon purchased it for little under $1 billion.
* Shear has been helping businesses on everything from technical approach to fundraising strategy during her seven months as a partner at Y Combinator.
* Shear is a Seattle native who graduated from Yale University with a bachelor’s degree in computer technology.
* Justin Kan, a co-founder of Twitch, writes in his LinkedIn recommendation: “Emmett is a great co-founder: works hard, doesn’t complain, and the smartest guy I know.”